Friday, December 30, 2011

A Rooster and A Pig: For Good Luck!

Today I tattooed Foghorn Leghorn and Porky Pig from the Loony Tunes cartoons.  I always have fun doing cartoon characters, but it's even better when they come with a story.  I had known for a while that a tattoo of a rooster and a pig are popular traditional tattoos, but I didn't know exactly why.  The girl I tattooed today, who is going into the Navy, explained that it was traditional for sailors to get these tattoos because if a ship was going down it was always pigs and roosters who survived.  So a tattoo of a pig and a rooster is supposed to provide protection from drowning for sailors. 


These characters were tattooed one on each foot, so I have provided a wide photo of her feet (so that you can see the size and placement) and a photo with a close up of each tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment